Our Mission: Helping people grow in
their knowledge of God and His holiness
Ligonier Ministries is an international Christian discipleship organization founded by theologian Dr. R.C. Sproul in 1971. Ligonier exists to serve the church by equipping Christians to articulate what they believe, why they believe it, how to live it, and how to share it. Proclaiming God’s holiness is central to Ligonier’s purpose.
Ligonier produces the Renewing Your Mind broadcast, the Reformation Study Bible, Tabletalk magazine, books, and various teaching series. Ligonier also offers academic degrees through Reformation Bible College. In addition, Ligonier hosts regional, national, and international conferences, offers an online learning community through Ligonier Connect, streams twenty-four-hour Christian internet radio through RefNet, answers biblical and theological questions with Ask Ligonier, pursues numerous translation efforts in other countries, and makes available thousands of unique resources online at Ligonier.org. Numerous supporting churches throughout the world use these resources in their evangelistic and discipleship endeavors so that, by God’s grace, minds are renewed and lives are transformed. To better serve the church by providing a broad library of trusted teaching, our broadcasts, publications, and educational initiatives address the topics of biblical studies, theology, worldview and culture, church history, and Christian living.
More than four decades of proclaiming the holiness of God:
1970s: The Ligonier Valley Study Center
- A group of Christian leaders approached Dr. Sproul with the intent of establishing a study center in the Ligonier valley of Pennsylvania where laypeople could receive the benefits of seminary-level teaching without having to attend seminary.
- Christians from all over the United States attend the Ligonier Valley Study Center to hear Dr. Sproul and other leading evangelical scholars.
- Recording lectures makes it possible for students who cannot attend the study center to benefit from the ministry.
- The Ligonier Statement on Inerrancy is adopted, which serves the broader evangelical church in the development of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.
- Publication of Tabletalk Bible study magazine begins.
1980's: Ligonier Ministries Moves to Orlando, Florida
- The Holiness of God and Chosen by God are published, further solidifying Dr. Sproul’s reputation as a trustworthy teacher and leader in the Christian community.
- Regional and national conferences begin, providing an opportunity for students to gather and learn together.
- Work begins on what will become the notes for the New Geneva Study Bible, later republished as the Reformation Study Bible.
1990's: National Radio Outreach Begins
- The Renewing Your Mind broadcast with Dr. Sproul begins to provide sound, in-depth teaching to those who might otherwise never receive it.
- Recording for our overview teaching series is started, including Dust to Glory, Foundations, Defending Your Faith, and The Consequences of Ideas.
2000's: Among Other New Initiatives, Book Publishing
- Ligonier launches its own publishing imprint committed to publishing theologically solid books; early releases include The Lightlings, The Truth of the Cross and Dr. Steven Lawson’s Foundations of Grace.
- Ligonier asks Reformation Heritage Books to manage Soli Deo Gloria Publications and later invites them to publish and distribute the Puritan titles.
- In fall 2008, the ministry announces Here We Stand, our first-ever capital campaign. This $5.6 million effort is designed to provide the infrastructure for what would become Reformation Bible College and the ministry’s headquarters in Sanford, Fla.
2010s: Teaching Fellows Join the Ministry, and We Expand Our Reach
- In 2010, we announce our ministry expansion through our Teaching Fellows effort. Today, these gifted teachers include Drs. Sinclair Ferguson, W. Robert Godfrey, Steven Lawson, Stephen Nichols, Burk Parsons, and Derek Thomas.
- In August 2011, Reformation Bible College welcomes its inaugural class. And in 2014, we begin the second phase of our capital campaign in order to build a new state-of-the-art Student Learning Center.
- In 2014, the first State of Theology survey takes the theological temperature of the United States and reveals what people actually believe about God, Jesus Christ, the Bible, and more. 2016 and 2018 surveys begin to reveal ongoing trends. In 2018, the survey expands to include the United Kingdom.
- In 2015, we publish the thoroughly updated edition of the Reformation Study Bible. Edited by Dr. Sproul and with contributions from more than seventy-five gifted scholars, this study Bible contains faithful biblical commentary and trusted theological notes to help bring the light of the gospel to people around the world.
- In 2016, we offer to the global church the Ligonier Statement on Christology as a tool for clarity and a catalyst for learning about the person and work of Jesus Christ.
- In September 2016, we host our first international conference in Mexico City.
- In 2017, we release the Condensed Edition of the Reformation Study Bible, providing concise, trustworthy commentary for travel, worship, and life on the go. Translations of the Reformation Study Bible are published in German and Korean, and we launch Study Bibles for Africa to send free copies to pastors, church leaders, and students in ten African countries.
- In 2018, the second phase of our capital campaign reaches its $13.6 million fundraising goal. We begin construction on a new Student Learning Center, expanding the ministry campus to enable Reformation Bible College to better serve and train students.
- In January 2018, we launch Ask Ligonier, a biblical and theological chat service. Equipped with our vast library of resources, well-trained team members answer questions online in real time at Ask.Ligonier.org and on Facebook and Twitter.
- In March 2018, Renovando Tu Mente, the Spanish-language version of Renewing Your Mind, begins, giving four hundred million native Spanish speakers access to Dr. Sproul’s teaching.
- Maintain the vision of our founder, Dr. R.C. Sproul, to see the historic Christian faith advance around the world.
- Offer thousands of resources available for purchase, including:
- More than five hundred teaching series on apologetics, biblical studies, philosophy, ethics, Christian theology, and personal holiness in video and audio formats.
- More than five hundred books authored by over one hundred different teachers and authors. Topics include church history, Christian living, worldview and culture, biblical studies, and theology.
- More than one hundred books written by Dr. Sproul.
- Distribute millions of trustworthy biblical and theological resources annually.
- Produce the Renewing Your Mind broadcast, which airs on more than 370 radio stations around the United States, as a podcast, and online at RenewingYourMind.org. These broadcasts reach people around the world. A Spanish edition and archive of past radio interviews are also available.
- Produce a variety of podcasts, including 5 Minutes in Church History, Open Book with Dr. Stephen Nichols, Simply Put, The Westminster Shorter Catechism with Dr. Sinclair Ferguson, and Renewing Your Mind Minute, with over one million downloads every month.
- Freely broadcast Christian internet radio through RefNet to listeners in more than 180 countries.
- Rejoice that more than 250,000 people read Tabletalk magazine each month in print and digital editions in more than seventy-five countries.
- Celebrate that forty-seven of Dr. Sproul’s books are translated into a multitude of languages. Translation efforts are underway for many other books and teaching series, as well as the Reformation Study Bible.
- Are thankful for the monthly financial support of more than twenty-seven thousand Ministry Partners.
- Receive over one million unique visitors and over three million page views to our websites every month.
- Offer a free Ligonier mobile app that has seen millions of launches each year.
- Air trustworthy teaching on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Alexa, and Roku. Our YouTube channel alone receives over five hundred thousand plays per month.
- Have answered thousands of biblical and theological questions live online with Ask Ligonier.
- Have had sixty thousand individuals enroll in Ligonier Connect courses from over 170 countries.
- Have had 442 students enroll in classes at Reformation Bible College.
- Have hosted well over two hundred thousand people at our regional, national, and international conferences to fellowship with other believers and explore biblical truths of a particular theme or issue. Have traveled with more than 2,500 people on study tours and cruises.
- Partner with Dr. Steven Lawson in support of The Institute for Expository Preaching.
- Host apologetics training on college campuses and in local churches through our Truth and Consequences seminars and Always Ready events.
- Distribute The State of Theology survey every two years to help Christians better understand today’s beliefs about God and the Bible and equip the church with better insights for discipleship and faithful living.
- Serve many missions agencies and indigenous church efforts around the world to provide opportunities and educational materials for Christian growth and discipleship.
- Have sent more than ten thousand Reformation Study Bibles to pastors, church leaders, and students in Africa, with a goal to send at least thirty-six thousand by 2028.
- Provide trustworthy discipleship resources to hundreds of military and prison chaplains each year, better equipping them to shepherd those under their care.