Dr. R.C. Sproul dedicated his life to helping people grow in their knowledge of God and His holiness. Throughout his ministry, Dr. Sproul made theology accessible by applying the deep truths of the Christian faith to everyday life. He continues to be recognized throughout the world for his articulate defense of the inerrancy of Scripture and the need for God’s people to stand with conviction upon His Word.
Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson is a Ligonier Ministries teaching fellow, vice-chairman of Ligonier Ministries, and Chancellor’s Professor of Systematic Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary. He is featured teacher for several Ligonier teaching series, including Union with Christ. He is author of many books, including The Whole Christ, Maturity, and Devoted to God's Church. Dr. Ferguson is also host of the podcast Things Unseen.
Dr. W. Robert Godfrey is a Ligonier Ministries teaching fellow and chairman of Ligonier Ministries. He is president emeritus and professor emeritus of church history at Westminster Seminary California. He is the featured teacher for many Ligonier teaching series, including the six-part series A Survey of Church History. He is author of many books, including God’s Pattern for Creation, Reformation Sketches, and An Unexpected Journey.
Dr. Steven J. Lawson is founder and president of OnePassion Ministries in Dallas. He is a Ligonier Ministries teaching fellow, professor of preaching and dean of D.Min. studies at The Master’s Seminary, and teacher for the Institute for Expository Preaching. He is author of many books, including The Passionate Preaching of Martyn Lloyd-Jones, John Knox: Fearless Faith, and The Moment of Truth.
Dr. Burk Parsons is senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., chief editorial officer for Ligonier Ministries, editor of Tabletalk magazine, and a Ligonier Ministries teaching fellow.
Dr. Derek W.H. Thomas is a Ligonier Ministries teaching fellow and Chancellor’s Professor of Systematic and Pastoral Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary. He is featured teacher for the Ligonier teaching series Romans 8 and author of many books, including Heaven on Earth, Strength for the Weary, and Let Us Worship God.
Senior Leadership Team
Chris Larson is president and chief executive officer. Chris joined Ligonier in 2004, and he directs all strategic outreach initiatives and oversees daily ministry operations. He previously worked in the educational and corporate world before joining the ministry.
Nathan W. Bingham
Nathan W. Bingham is vice president of ministry engagement and host of Renewing Your Mind. Nathan joined Ligonier in 2012, and he strives to help people grow deeper in their knowledge of God and in their support of Ligonier’s mission. He previously served in communications and digital outreach at Ligonier.
Rev. Thomas Brewer is vice president of editorial. Thomas joined Ligonier in 2013, and he oversees the ministry’s teaching content, ensuring that Ligonier continues to create faithful theological materials. He is a teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America.
J.D. Bridges is vice president of global outreach. J.D. joined Ligonier in 2014, and he seeks to distribute its resources around the world through strategic partnerships and trade channels. He previously served as vice president of operations and finance at Spread Truth Ministries.
John Cobb is vice president of strategic initiatives. John joined Ligonier in 2003, and he serves by advancing Ligonier’s vision around the world and helping deliver resources to people who want to learn about God and His Word. He previously served in marketing at Ligonier.
Angie Moore is vice president of human resources. Angie joined Ligonier in 2014, and she oversees talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, training and development, and coaching and strategic resource planning. She is a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources.
Jim Moore is vice president of administration. Jim joined Ligonier in 2012, and he helps to plan, direct, and coordinate necessary functions and infrastructure in support of the ministry. He previously served in the U.S. military and worked in the private sector.
Dr. Stephen J. Nichols is chief academic officer, a Ligonier teaching fellow, and president of Reformation Bible College. Steve joined Ligonier in 2014, and he helps maintain the academic integrity of the ministry. He holds a Ph.D. from Westminster Theological Seminary.
Dr. Burk Parsons is chief editorial officer and a Ligonier teaching fellow. Burk joined Ligonier in 1999, and he serves as editor of Tabletalk magazine and oversees publishing. He is also senior pastor of Saint Andrew's Chapel and holds a D.Min. from Reformed Theological Seminary.
Board of Directors
Mr. James Campisi
Mrs. Sherrie Sproul Dorotiak
Dr. Sinclair Ferguson
Dr. W. Robert Godfrey
Dr. William Harper, MD
Mr. Chris Larson
Dr. Steven Lawson
Mr. Gregory Miseyko
Mr. Robert Mowrey
Dr. Burk Parsons
Mrs. Vesta Sproul
Mr. David Stoltzfus
Mr. Robert Wohleber
Ligonier Ministries began as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa., nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, about an hour’s drive east of Pittsburgh. The study center was a fellowship of teachers founded by Dr. R.C. Sproul and a few others at the request of several ministry leaders in Pittsburgh. They wanted to create a place where students of the Bible could gather for instruction on the things of God.
Early on, the Ligonier Valley Study Center began to record Dr. Sproul’s lectures and mail them to churches and individuals. It quickly became clear that there was great demand for Dr. Sproul’s teaching around the world, and the reach of the study center continued to grow. To meet this growing demand more effectively, Ligonier’s board made the decision to move to Orlando, Fla., in 1984 and to change the name of the Ligonier Valley Study Center to Ligonier Ministries.
Today, Ligonier’s teaching fellowship consists of theologians, pastors, and scholars who teach through Renewing Your Mind and other podcasts, the Reformation Study Bible, Tabletalk magazine, books, and hundreds of teaching series. The ministry also offers academic degrees through Reformation Bible College. In addition, Ligonier hosts regional, national, and international conferences, offers an online learning community through Ligonier Connect, streams twenty-four-hour Christian internet radio through RefNet, answers biblical and theological questions with Ask Ligonier, pursues numerous translation efforts in other countries, and makes available thousands of unique resources online at Ligonier.org.
1970s: The Ligonier Valley Study Center
- A group of Christian leaders approach Dr. R.C. Sproul with the intent of founding a study center in the Ligonier Valley of Pennsylvania. Dr. Sproul establishes a teaching fellowship at the Ligonier Valley Study Center as a place where students of the Bible can gather for instruction on the things of God.
- Christians from throughout the United States begin attending the study center to hear Dr. Sproul and other gifted Bible teachers.
- Messages delivered in the study center are recorded so more students can benefit from this teaching ministry.
- The Ligonier Statement on Inerrancy is adopted. This seminal work helps frame the enduring Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy of 1978.
- Publication of Tabletalk magazine begins as an eight-page newsletter for the Ligonier Valley Study Center.
1980s: Ligonier Ministries Moves to Orlando, Florida
- To help meet the rising demand for trustworthy Bible teaching, the Ligonier Valley Study Center changes its name to Ligonier Ministries and moves to Orlando, Florida, in 1984.
- The Holiness of God and Chosen by God are published. These classic books further solidify Dr. Sproul’s reputation as a trustworthy teacher and leader in the Christian community.
- Ligonier begins to host regional and national conferences, providing an opportunity for growing Christians to gather around God’s truth and learn together.
- Work begins on the study notes for the New Geneva Study Bible, later republished as the Reformation Study Bible.
1990s: Broadcast Outreach Begins
- The Renewing Your Mind radio broadcast begins to provide sound, in-depth teaching from Dr. Sproul and other teachers, reaching more people around the U.S.
- Recording begins for many of Dr. Sproul’s overview series, including Dust to Glory, Foundations, Defending Your Faith, and The Consequences of Ideas.
2000s: Book Publishing and Other Initiatives
- Ligonier launches its own publishing imprint, committed to publishing books that help people connect the deep truths of the Christian faith to their daily lives. Early releases include Dr. Sproul’s book The Truth of the Cross, his children’s book The Lightlings, and Dr. Steven Lawson’s book Foundations of Grace.
- Ligonier asks Reformation Heritage Books to manage Soli Deo Gloria Publications and later invites RHB to publish and distribute Puritan titles.
- In fall 2008, Ligonier announces Here We Stand, our first capital campaign. This $5.6 million effort is designed to provide the infrastructure for Reformation Bible College and the ministry’s headquarters in Central Florida.
2010s: Teaching Fellows Are Formally Established and the Ministry’s Reach Expands
- In 2010, Ligonier formally establishes the Ligonier Teaching Fellows. Today, these trusted teachers include Drs. Sinclair Ferguson, W. Robert Godfrey, Steven Lawson, Stephen Nichols, Burk Parsons, and Derek Thomas.
- In August 2011, Reformation Bible College welcomes its inaugural class. This same year, we begin the second phase of our capital campaign to construct a new building to develop RBC’s campus with additional classrooms, student commons, and more.
- In 2014, we release the findings of our first biennial State of Theology survey, revealing what people actually believe about God, the Bible, truth, ethics, and more. Every two years, new surveys help reveal ongoing trends. In 2018, the survey expands to include the United Kingdom.
- In 2015, we publish the thoroughly revised and carefully crafted Reformation Study Bible. Edited by Dr. Sproul, with contributions from more than seventy-five distinguished scholars, this study Bible provides an unparalleled reading, study, and discipleship experience for every age and stage of the Christian life.
- In 2016, we release the Ligonier Statement on Christology, a document designed to serve the global church by carefully and succinctly restating and explaining the Bible’s teaching about the person and work of Jesus Christ.
- In September 2016, we host our first international conference in Mexico City.
- In 2017, we release the Condensed Edition of the Reformation Study Bible, providing concise, trustworthy commentary for travel, worship, and life on the go. Translations of the Reformation Study Bible are published in German and Korean, and we launch Study Bibles for Africa to send free copies to pastors, church leaders, and students in ten African countries.
- In 2018, the second phase of our capital campaign reaches its $13.6 million fundraising goal. We begin construction on Founders Hall, expanding the ministry campus to enable Reformation Bible College to better serve and train students in the knowledge of God.
- In January 2018, we launch Ask Ligonier, a biblical and theological chat service. Equipped with our vast library of resources, well-trained team members answer questions online in real time at ask.Ligonier.org and on Facebook and Twitter.
- In March 2018, Renovando Tu Mente, the Spanish-language edition of Renewing Your Mind, begins giving four hundred million native Spanish speakers access to Dr. Sproul’s teaching.
Today, We . . .
- Maintain the vision of our founder, Dr. R.C. Sproul, to see the historic Christian faith advance around the world.
- Offer thousands of resources available for purchase, including:
- More than five hundred teaching series on apologetics, biblical studies, philosophy, ethics, Christian theology, and personal holiness in video and audio formats.
- More than five hundred books authored by over one hundred
teachers and authors. Topics include church history, Christian living, worldview and culture, biblical studies, and theology.
- More than one hundred books written by Dr. Sproul.
- Distribute millions of trustworthy biblical and theological resources annually.
- Produce the Renewing Your Mind broadcast, which airs on hundreds of radio stations around the United States, as a podcast, and online at RenewingYourMind.org. These broadcasts reach people around the world. An archive of past radio interviews is also available.
- Produce a variety of podcasts, including 5 Minutes in Church History, Ask Ligonier, Luther: In Real Time, Open Book, Simply Put, Ultimately with R.C. Sproul, and The Westminster Shorter Catechism, with over 1.7 million downloads every month.
- Freely broadcast Christian internet radio through RefNet to listeners in more than 180 countries.
- Reach over 260,000 readers with Tabletalk magazine each month in more than seventy-five countries, while bringing more content to even more readers at TabletalkMagazine.com.
- Have translated many of Dr. Sproul’s books into forty-five languages. Translation efforts are underway for many other books and teaching series.
- Have made the Reformation Study Bible available in German, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese, with translations in Arabic and French currently underway.
- Receive more than seventeen million unique visits to Ligonier.org every year.
- Offer a free Ligonier mobile app that has already seen more than one million downloads.
- Air trustworthy teaching on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Alexa, and Roku. Our YouTube channel alone receives more than 2.5 million plays per month.
- Have answered thousands of biblical and theological questions live online with our Ask Ligonier chat service.
- Have had more than ninety thousand individuals enroll in Ligonier Connect courses from over 170 countries.
- Have had hundreds of students enroll in classes at Reformation Bible College.
- Have hosted hundreds of thousands of people at our regional, national, and international conferences to fellowship with other believers and explore biblical truths of a particular theme or issue.
- Have traveled with thousands of people on study tours and cruises.
- Partner with Dr. Steven Lawson in support of The Institute for Expository Preaching.
- Host apologetics training through our Always Ready youth events.
- Distribute The State of Theology survey every two years to help Christians better understand what our neighbors believe about God and the Bible and equip the church with better insights for discipleship.
- Serve many missions agencies and indigenous church efforts around the world to provide opportunities and educational materials for Christian growth and discipleship.
- Have sent more than twenty thousand Reformation Study Bibles to pastors, church leaders, and students in Africa, with a goal to send more than 100 thousand more by 2028.
- Provide trustworthy discipleship resources to hundreds of military and prison chaplains each year, better equipping them to shepherd those under their care.
- Give thanks to God for the monthly financial support of thousands of Ministry Partners. We are grateful for your steadfast partnership in helping to proclaim the holiness of God in all its fullness to as many people as possible.