Columns from Tabletalk Magazine, August 2019
The August issue of Tabletalk looks at several commonly misunderstood passages in the Bible, asking the question, What does that verse really mean? Christians have been studying the Scriptures for two thousand years, and while the basic message of salvation is clear enough that anyone of normal intelligence can find it in God’s Word through the diligent use of ordinary means, not every biblical text is readily understood and properly applied. Because of this, several verses in Scripture are routinely misunderstood and taken out of their original context in order to make applications that do not really fit. This issue of Tabletalk looks at twelve of the verses that believers most frequently misunderstand, helping readers to see the verses in their original context and to better comprehend and apply them to their lives.
For a limited time, the new TabletalkMagazine.com allows everyone to browse and read the growing library of back issues, including this month’s issue. You can also purchase the issue or subscribe to get the print issue every month.
- Rightly Interpreting Scripture by Burk Parsons
- Isaiah 43:25 by H.P. McCracken
- Jeremiah 29:11 by Kevin D. Gardner
- Matthew 7:1 by Tim Witmer
- Matthew 18:20 by Harry L. Reeder
- 1 Corinthians 2:4 by John Currie
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 by Joe Holland
- Galatians 3:28 by Aaron L. Garriott
- Philippians 4:13 by Tyler Kenney
- 1 John 2:27 by Robert Rothwell
- 1 John 4:8 by Mark E. Ross
- Revelation 3:16 by Thomas Brewer
- Revelation 3:20 by Christopher Gordon
- The God of All Comfort by George C. Scipione
- Love Believes All Things by Gabe Fluhrer
- A Blueprint for Living by Rebecca VanDoodewaard
- Rebutting Objections to the Pro-Life Position by James Anderson
Subscribe to Tabletalk today for only $23 a year, and $20 to renew. You save even more if you get a 2- or 3-year subscription (as little as $1.36 per issue). Get your subscription to Tabletalk today by calling one of Ligonier Ministries’ resource consultants at 800-435-4343 or by subscribing online.