As we kicked off the afternoon of day two of the conference, Steven Lawson was tasked with answering this question: Is the Bible Just Another Book?
Lawson began by reading 2 Timothy 3:16,17, words with which you are familiar, I am sure: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.”
He set out to answer these questions: Why do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God? Why is this not just another book but, instead, a supernatural book written by the Sovereign God? From a divine perspective we believe that the Bible is God’s Word because its author the Holy Spirit has borne witness to our hearts that this books contains the voice of the living God. The Holy Spirit has testified to its veracity. But there are still many sound evidences and convincing proofs that the Bible is God’s Word. This still requires a step of faith but through this talk he sought to show that this is a reasonable step of faith. He presented his case as to why the Bible is God’s Word.
To do this he offered ten proofs:
- The direct claims of the Bible.
- The perfect unity of the Bible
- The reliable transmission of the Bible.
- The historical reliability of the Bible.
- The scientific accuracy of the Bible.
- The fulfilled prophecies of the Bible.
- Jesus’ testimony to the Bible.
- The amazing indestructibility of the Bible.
- The ethical superiority of the Bible.
- The supernatural power of the Bible.
Be sure to give this message a listen for an impassioned defense of the unique place of the Bible.