Restoring Our Relationship
Unregenerate man is consistently described as being in a state of alienation and enmity. This is the condition that makes reconciliation necessary. Reconciliation is necessary only when a state of estrangement exists between two or more parties. Estrangement is the natural fallen state of our relationship to God.
How are we enemies of God? Jonathan Edwards provides an insightful summary of the problem. He lists several points of tension between God and man:
1. By nature, we have a low esteem of God. We count Him unworthy of our love or fear.
2. We prefer to keep a distance from God. We have no natural inclination to seek His presence in prayer.
3. Our wills are opposed to the law of God. We are not loyal subjects of His sovereign rule.
4. We are enemies against God in our affections. Our souls have a seed of malice against God. We are quick to blaspheme and to rage against Him.
5. We are enemies in practice. We walk in a way that is contrary to Him.
Examine your spiritual condition in light of Edwards’s five points of tension between God and man.
Passages for Further Study
For permissions, please see our Copyright Policy.