Help provide trusted teaching to Farsi-speaking Christians.
What Is the Opportunity?
Farsi, also known as Persian, is the language of the people of Iran, as well as an official language in neighboring Tajikistan and Afghanistan. Persian culture has its origins in the Old Testament era. King Cyrus the Persian was instrumental in ending the Jewish exile in Babylon (Ezra 1:1; Daniel 10:1).
Christianity is thought to have reached Iran in the 1st century AD, but the church there has suffered repeated persecution down the centuries, most recently by the Shiite Islamic theocracy that has ruled the country since 1979.
Today, there are harsh penalties in Iran for leaving Islam, and the state’s security services actively search out house churches. Yet Iranians are eager to hear the gospel, seeking out Christian teaching online and on satellite TV. It is widely believed that the underground church in Iran is one of the fastest-growing in the world. Farsi-speaking churches have been started in numerous countries by Iranians who have fled their homeland.
Ligonier is providing trustworthy teaching on satellite TV and online to strengthen Farsi-speaking Christians. This much-needed outreach is opening up the deep truths of Scripture to Farsi-speaking people who are hungry to learn more about the one true God.
How Is Ligonier Meeting These Needs?
We strive to reach Farsi-speaking pastors, laypeople, and unbelievers from all walks of life through the following outreach efforts:
A Christian satellite TV station has been broadcasting video teaching series by Dr. R.C. Sproul, and other trusted teachers, throughout Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and surrounding countries since early 2020. The messages are aired at least six times a week, and they are dubbed in Farsi so Iranians hear the teaching in their own language. These series are also available on our designated website and on YouTube. These series include:
- The Attributes of God with Steven Lawson
- Basic Training with R.C. Sproul
- The Basics of the Christian Life with Sinclair Ferguson
- The Book of Job with Derek Thomas
- Dust to Glory with R.C. Sproul
- Foundations Part One with R.C. Sproul
- Foundations Part Two with R.C. Sproul
- Foundations Part Three with R.C. Sproul
- Foundations Part Four with R.C. Sproul
- The Great Commission by Burk Parsons
- The Holiness of God with R.C. Sproul
- Learning to Love the Psalms with W. Robert Godfrey
- Lessons from the Upper Room with Sinclair Ferguson
- Loved by God with R.C. Sproul
- Moses and the Burning Bush with R.C. Sproul
- What Did Jesus Do?: Understanding the Work of Christ with R.C. Sproul
- Who is the Holy Spirit? with Sinclair Ferguson
The Ligonier Statement on Christology
Confusion abounds regarding Christology—the doctrine of Christ—around the Farsi-speaking world. As the church continues to grow, it is imperative that believers learn the truths of Scripture as summarized in the great confessions of faith. We produced The Word Made Flesh: The Ligonier Statement on Christology to help Christians know what the church has historically taught and provide clarity on the person and work of Christ. Our goal is to distribute this statement worldwide, and it has already been translated into numerous languages, including Farsi and a video in Farsi is available here.
Web and Social Media
We are reaching Farsi-speaking people with the gospel in Iran, the surrounding countries and those scattered around the world. Ligonier’s dedicated Farsi website, together with our Facebook, YouTube, Telegram, and Twitter pages, are providing ready access to trustworthy teaching. Our website contains several historic Christian creeds and confessions.
Growing interest in the Reformed faith has sparked an eagerness for more resources from R.C. Sproul and Ligonier Ministries. Our plans include translating, printing, and distributing the following titles:
Recently Published Books
- The Barber Who Wanted to Pray by R.C. Sproul
- Can I Lose My Salvation? by R.C. Sproul
- Does God Exist? by R.C. Sproul
- The Donkey Who Carried A King by R.C. Sproul
- Everyone's a Theologian by R.C. Sproul
- Lessons from the Upper Room by Sinclair Ferguson
- The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
- The Prince’s Poison Cup by R.C. Sproul
- The Race of Faith by R.C. Sproul
- Surprised by Suffering by R.C. Sproul
- What is Repentance? by R.C. Sproul
What Is Needed?
- Digital outreach — $31,853 USD (annually)
- Translating and publishing digital editions of four Crucial Questions titles — $14,400 USD
- Translating and publishing a digital edition of A Field Guide on False Teaching — $6,886
Funding needs reflect quoted estimates based on June 2023 foreign exchange rates and current translation fees. You can donate here.
How Do Your Gifts Help?
These are only a few of our many international outreach projects underway. We ask you to prayerfully consider supporting our efforts through your financial gifts and prayers for the Farsi-speaking and global church. You can donate here. Your generosity helps us translate, print, and distribute trustworthy resources, providing countless opportunities to reach people with the truth of God’s Word.
Our policy is to apply gifts given toward a specific program. If we receive more contributions than can be wisely used for a given project, we apply these funds to meet other pressing needs in our outreach efforts. We are committed to stewarding all gifts wisely toward the goal of proclaiming the holiness of God to as many people as possible. Ligonier Ministries is a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.