The Arabic-Speaking Church
What Is the Opportunity?
To anyone watching the news, it is evident that this is a pivotal time in the Arabic-speaking world. Perhaps less evident is the increased openness toward Christianity, particularly among disillusioned Muslims. One missionary organization has said, “At this moment in history, there is unprecedented, growing disenchantment with Islam worldwide.”1
Arabic is the fifth most-spoken language in the world. Some estimate that about 420 million people worldwide speak Arabic.2 Some officially Islamic countries, such as Egypt, have a sizable population of Christians, but in many others the Christian population is very small.3
Arabic-speaking Christians are living in the middle of dire, uncertain times, and they have many questions. In countries across the Middle East, Christians face persecution and violence, in some areas even being driven from their homes.4 There is a clear opportunity to provide the comfort and hope of the gospel to people facing unspeakable trials and crises.
We are working with well-known Christian publishing houses in the Middle East and North Africa to plan the translation, printing, and distribution of a variety of titles by R.C. Sproul. These international partnerships with churches, organizations, and publishers seek to encourage Arabic-speaking Christians with the Word of God, especially in the midst of great suffering and turmoil.
How Is Ligonier Meeting These Needs?
We strive to reach Arabic-speaking pastors, laypeople, and unbelievers from all walks of life through the following outreach efforts:
The Reformation Study Bible
Our popular Reformation Study Bible helps to deepen Christians’ study of God’s Word. Work has begun on translating this trusted resource into Arabic. As with the English edition, the Arabic Reformation Study Bible will have more than 1.1 million words of verse-by-verse commentary and topical explanations, maps and visual aids, trusted contributions from seventy-five distinguished scholars, theological summaries from R.C. Sproul, and nearly two thousand years of creeds, confessions, and catechisms. As R.C. Sproul said, “The light of the Reformation was the light of the Bible.” The same is true today.
The Ligonier Statement on Christology
Confusion abounds regarding Christology—the doctrine of Christ—around the Arabic-speaking world. As the church continues to grow, it is imperative that believers learn the truths of Scripture as summarized in the great confessions of faith. We produced The Word Made Flesh: The Ligonier Statement on Christology to help Christians know what the church has historically taught and provide clarity on the person and work of Christ. Our goal is to distribute this statement worldwide, and it has already been translated into numerous languages, including Arabic and a video in Arabic is available here.
Web and Social Media
We are reaching people across the Middle East and North Africa online with the gospel, including lands where Christians suffer great hostility. Ligonier’s popular Arabic Facebook page, together with our dedicated website, YouTube and Twitter pages, are providing ready access to trustworthy teaching. Our website contains several historic Christian creeds and confessions, some translated into Arabic for the first time.
Growing interest in the Reformed faith has sparked an eagerness for more resources from R.C. Sproul and Ligonier Ministries. Our plans include translating, printing, and distributing the following titles:
- Chosen by God by R.C. Sproul
- Everyone’s a Theologian: An Introduction to Systematic Theology by R.C. Sproul
- Surprised by Suffering: The Role of Pain and Death in the Christian Life by R.C. Sproul
- The Life and Theology of Paul by Guy Waters
Recently Published Books
- By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me by Sinclair Ferguson
- The Race of Faith by R.C. Sproul
Our video teaching series help promote theological education in the Arabic-speaking world. Several of these series have already been translated into Arabic, and are available through the Arabic YouTube channel.
- Recovering the Beauty of the Arts with R.C. Sproul
- Dust to Glory: An Overview of the Bible with R.C. Sproul
- Mystery of the Trinity with R.C. Sproul
- When Worlds Collide with R.C. Sproul
- Willing to Believe with R.C. Sproul
- What Did Jesus Do? with R.C. Sproul
- The Consequences of Ideas with R.C. Sproul
- Luther and the Reformation with R.C. Sproul
- Loved by God with R.C. Sproul
- Knowing Christ: The I AM sayings of Jesus with R.C. Sproul
- The Holiness of God with R.C. Sproul
- Chosen by God with R.C. Sproul
- Knowing Christ: the I AM Sayings of Jesus with R.C. Sproul
- Hath God Said with R.C. Sproul
- Creation or Chaos: Modern Science and the Existence of God with R.C. Sproul
- Defending Your Faith: An Overview of Classical Apologetics with R.C. Sproul
- The Assurance of Salvation with R.C. Sproul
- Angels and Demons with R.C. Sproul
- The Consequences of Ideas: An Overview of Philosophy with R.C. Sproul
- Prayer with R.C. Sproul
- Pleasing God with R.C. Sproul
- Basic Training with R.C. Sproul
- Moses and the Burning Bush with R.C. Sproul
Several short Q&A videos are also available in Arabic.
What Is Needed?
- Digital outreach — $18,240 USD (annually)
- Printing 1,000 copies of Everyone’s a Theologian: An Introduction to Systematic Theology — $7,200 USD
- Printing 1,000 copies of Surprised by Suffering: The Role of Pain and Death in the Christian Life — $2,520 USD
- Translating, editing, and printing 1,000 copies of The Life and Theology of Paul — $4,600 USD
Funding needs reflect quoted estimates based on July 2020 foreign exchange rates and current translation fees.
How Do Your Gifts Help?
These are just a few of our many international outreach projects underway. We ask you to prayerfully consider supporting our efforts through your financial gifts and prayers for the Arabic-speaking and global church. You can donate here. Your generosity helps us translate, print, and distribute trustworthy resources, providing countless opportunities to reach people with the truth of God’s Word.
Our policy is to apply gifts given toward a specific program. If we receive more contributions than can be wisely used for a given project, we apply these funds to meet other pressing needs in our outreach efforts. We are committed to stewarding all gifts wisely toward the goal of proclaiming the holiness of God to as many people as possible. Ligonier Ministries is a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.
1See https://www.powerofchristatwork.net/component/edocman/?task=document.viewdoc&id=25&Itemid= as at Apr. 4, 2019
2See https://www.rocketlanguages.com/blog/the-15-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world/ as at Apr. 4, 2019
3 See http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-15239529 as at Apr. 4, 2019
4See https://nypost.com/2017/04/14/christianity-is-being-driven-out-of-the-middle-east/ as at Apr. 4, 2019