Columns from Tabletalk Magazine, October 2018
The October issue of Tabletalk addresses the issue of perfectionism, control, and the sovereignty of God. Scripture repeatedly assures us of the truth of God’s sovereignty and that He is working all things together for the good of His people (Rom. 8:28). At the same time, Scripture does not use this truth as an encouragement for us not to act and take responsibility for ourselves and for our decisions. Couple these truths with our sinful dispositions, the reality of life in a fallen world, and our God-given sense that life was intended to be better than it is at present, and we often find it difficult to balance trust in God’s good plan for His children with our need to live responsibly. We can become too controlling or too passive, too fearful or too carefree, too obsessed with perfection or too willing to shrug our shoulders at what is less than ideal. This issue considers various issues related to the right understanding of divine sovereignty and man’s responsibility, helping readers to have a more biblical view of what it means to live soberly in this present age without falling into perfectionism or sinful fear.
For a limited time, the new TabletalkMagazine.com allows everyone to browse and read the growing library of back issues, including this month’s issue. You can also purchase the issue or subscribe to get the print issue every month.
- Out of and under Control by Burk Parsons
- The Illusion of Control by Thomas Brewer
- God’s Control and Our Responsibility by Guy M. Richard
- Planning for the Future while Trusting God’s Provision by Mike Emlet
- Pursuing Perfection with Sovereign Realism by Mike Pohlman
- The Place of Godly Ambition by Dan Dodds
- Ordering the Home without Being Controlling by Paul David Tripp
- Embracing God’s Sovereignty in Salvation and Our Role as His Heralds by Matthew Miller
- Trusting the Good and Sovereign God at Every Age by Tim Witmer
- Communing with God via Scripture by Neil C. Stewart
- Forgiveness and Restoration to Ministry by Roland Barnes
- Design Matters by Dirk Naves
- Twenty-Five Years Later by Albert Mohler
Subscribe to Tabletalk today for only $23 a year, and $20 to renew. You save even more if you get a 2- or 3-year subscription (as little as $1.36 per issue). Get your subscription to Tabletalk today by calling one of Ligonier Ministries’ resource consultants at 800-435-4343 or by subscribing online.
Each month, Tabletalk carefully selects resources to help you grow as a Christian. Browse this month’s resources here.