Columns from Tabletalk Magazine, March 2021
The March issue of Tabletalk addresses the Christian ethic. We are living through a great upheaval in Western society that is leading people to call the very idea of ethical truth into question. Past generations of Christians could take for granted that they shared a common understanding of basic moral principles with the wider culture. However, changes in the culture have led to great disagreement even among professing Christians as to what constitutes right and wrong. Sadly, many churches have failed to provide deep instruction in the ethical teachings of Scripture and God’s natural law, making it difficult for laypeople to think about ethical matters in a manner that is consistently faithful to the moral law. This contributes to confusion in the church, a lack of sound moral formation among Christians, and a failure in the visible body of Christ to embody a distinctive ethical lifestyle as a witness to the world. This issue seeks to help believers understand various issues related to the Christian ethic, think more biblically, and gain confidence that there is a distinctive Christian ethic that is true and necessary for healthy communities.
- Our Unchanging Ethic by Burk Parsons
- Our Authoritative Standard by David B. Garner
- The Image of God and Christian Ethics by J.V. Fesko
- Christian Living and the Ethical Mandate by Cory Brock
- Applying the Christian Ethic to Specific Issues by James N. Anderson
- Consistent Christianity by Joel Kim
- Proclaiming the Christian Ethic by Steven Lawson
- Compassionate Conviction by Lowell A. Ivey
- When My Soul Is Downcast and Despairing by James Faris
- The Comfort of Church Discipline and Restoration by Rhett P. Dodson
- Do Not Fear Persecution by Matthias Lohmann
- The Church in the Digital Age by Joe Holland
Subscribe to Tabletalk today for only $23 a year, and $20 to renew. You save even more if you get a 2- or 3-year subscription (as little as $1.36 per issue). Get your subscription to Tabletalk today by calling one of Ligonier Ministries’ resource consultants at 800-435-4343 or by subscribing online.