Our Mission: Helping people grow in
their knowledge of God and His holiness
Ligonier Ministries is an international Christian education organization founded by theologian Dr. R.C. Sproul in 1971 to equip Christians to articulate what they believe and why they believe it. Proclaiming God's holiness is central to our purpose.
To this end, we produce the Renewing Your Mind radio broadcasts, The Reformation Study Bible (ESV), Tabletalk devotional magazine, new books by Dr. Sproul and other contemporary authors and theologians through the Reformation Trust Publishing imprint, numerous teaching series, offer undergraduate degrees and a Doctor of Ministry and distance learning programs through Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies, host national, regional, and pastors conferences, offer an online learning community in a modified virtual classroom setting with Ligonier Connect, freely broadcast 24-hour Christian internet radio, and recommend and sell more than 5,000 unique resources.
Four decades of proclaiming the holiness of God:
1970's: The Ligonier Valley Study Center
- A group of Christian leaders approached Dr. Sproul with the intent of establishing a study center in Ligonier Valley, Pennsylvania where lay people could receive the benefits of seminary-level teaching without having to attend seminary.
- Christians from all over the United States attend the Ligonier Valley Study Center to hear Dr. Sproul and other leading evangelical scholars.
- Recording lectures makes it possible for students who cannot attend the study center to benefit from the ministry.
- Publication of Tabletalk Bible study magazine begins.
1980's: Ligonier Ministries Moves to Orlando, Florida
- The Holiness of God and Chosen By God are published, further solidifying Dr. Sproul's reputation as a trustworthy teacher and leader in the Christian community.
- Dr. Don Kistler establishes Soli Deo Gloria (SDG), dedicated to publishing Puritan works, eventually reprinting more than 250 titles, some of which have not been published for 400 years. Eventually, SDG publications number over 750,000 volumes around the world.
- Regional and national conferences begin, providing an opportunity for students to gather and learn together.
1990's: National Radio Outreach Begins
- Renewing Your Mind radio broadcast with Dr. R.C. Sproul begins to provide sound, in-depth teaching to those who might otherwise never receive it.
2000's: Among Several New Initiatives, Ligonier Academy Is Launched
- Ligonier establishes a music division to promote the sense of reverence and gravitas found in more classical forms of Christian worship.
- Soli Deo Gloria (SDG) becomes a division of Ligonier Ministries.
- Ligonier's Reformation Trust Publishing launches to establish a new imprint committed to publishing theologically solid books with high-quality materials; early releases include A Taste of Heaven, The Lightlings and Dr. Steven Lawson’s Foundations of Grace.
- Ligonier asks Reformation Heritage Books and Dr. Joel Beeke to manage Soli Deo Gloria Publications and later invites that publisher to publish and distribute the Puritan titles.
- The ministry in the fall of 2008 announces "Here We Stand", our first ever capital campaign. This $15.6 million effort is designed to provide for the infrastructure for the nascent Ligonier Academy and future ministry headquarters in Sanford, Fla.
- In 2009, Dr. Sproul establishes Ligonier Academy of Biblical & Theological Studies to provide deeper educational opportunities for young adults, laypeople, and pastors.
- We offer more than 5,000 resources available for purchase, including:
- 500+ teaching series on apologetics, biblical studies, philosophy, ethics, Christian theology and discipleship in video and audio formats.
- 500+ books authored by more than 100 different teachers and authors on topics that include church history, Christian living, worldview and culture, biblical studies, and theology.
- 80+ books written by Dr. Sproul.
- Renewing Your Mind broadcasts are available through the United States with a potential listening audience of over 100+ million people and countless others throughout the world via shortwave radio generating 25,000 first-time contacts each year.
- More than 175,000 people have attended our regional and national conferences to fellowship with other believers and explore biblical truths of a particular biblical theme or issue.
- More than 40 of Dr. Sproul’s books are translated into various languages.
- We distribute more than 2,000,000 trustworthy biblical and theological resources annually.
- Over 200,000 people read Tabletalk magazine each month.
- We can receive over 275,000 unique visitors and more than 1.6 million page views to our website in a month period.
- We have more than 12,500 individuals enrolled in over 20,000 Ligonier Connect courses.
- We freely broadcast 24-hour Christian internet radio with RefNet.
- We are thankful for the monthly financial support of more than 24,000 Ministry Partners.