Giving Through Your IRA
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 includes a renewed opportunity to make a tax-free IRA charitable rollover gift to Ligonier Ministries through calendar year 2013. This option may be especially attractive to donors who do not need the income they are required to withdraw from their IRA if they are age 70½ or older – funds which become taxable income.
Requirements for IRA qualified charitable distributions:
- Gifts are tax free up to $100,000.
- Gifts will qualify for all or part of your required minimum distribution.
- This provision applies for 2013 only at this point in time.
- The IRA holder must be 70½ or older at the time of gift.
- Gifts must be made outright to a charitable organization directly from your IRA.
- Gifts may only be made from traditional IRAs and Roth IRAs, not a 401(k) or 403(b)
The Act provided a short window of opportunity to make a qualifying distribution for calendar year 2012 for gifts made prior to February 1, 2013. Any gifts made after February 1, 2013 will only be excluded from Federal taxable income in 2013.
If you have questions or would like to donate to Ligonier Ministries from your IRA, please contact our Director of Stewardship at 1-800-220-7636 ext. 1182 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.