"The Secret Place," from Glory to the Holy One, is based on Psalm 91 and expresses the superlative comfort of safely dwelling "in the secret place of the Most High" (Psalm 91:1), where there is "no better place now for us to dwell." Indeed, "no greater comfort can He afford" us than to belong to Him (Heidelberg Catechism No. 1), communing in His presence, feeding in His pasture, trusting His promises, thankful for His provisions, and secure under His protection.
God assures safety for all who trust in Him. "Communion with God is safety" (Charles Spurgeon), God Himself is our "refuge and fortress." He promises to sustain His loved ones through all our troubles. His "angels guard us" and His "truth is always our sword and shield." "Neath His great shadow" we need not fear "the terror that comes at night, nor flaming arrows by morning light." Though "ten thousand more may have yet to die, yet plague and sword can ne'er kill the soul."
"The Secret Place" prompts us to examine our hearts. Can we, by God's grace, truly say of the LORD, "He is my refuge?" Are we "at home in God" (Matthew Henry), trusting Him, calling upon Him, and seeking refuge under His wings "where our praise will forever ring?" Do we "habitually reside in the mysterious presence" (Charles Spurgeon) through His appointed means of grace? Are we abiding in Christ (John 15:4), who alone is the source of our comfort?
Praise the Lord that Christ "became flesh and dwelt among us" (John 1:14) to secure our dwelling with the Father; was forsaken by God (Mark 15:34) to gain our Father's acceptance of us; died and was raised from the dead to give us life and raise us up to sit together in the heavenly places in Him (Ephesians 2:5,6). In Christ, we may rejoice with complete confidence that whoever "dwells within His most secret place is never far from His blessed grace."
Who dwells within His most secret place
Is never far from His blessed grace
'Neath His great shadow all will be well
No better place now for us to dwell
The secret place of God Most High
The shadow of our mighty King
The dwelling place where angels cry
Is where our praise will forever ring
Fear not the terror that comes at night
Nor flaming arrows by morning light
His truth is always our sword and shield
Against His power, all foes must yield
A thousand fall now at ev'ry side
Ten thousand more may have yet to die
Yet plague and sword can
Ne'er kill the soul
His angels guard us now safe and whole
Refuge and fortress for all who trust
No safer pasture for men of dust
'Neath wings and feathers of Holy Lord
No greater comfort can He afford
Experience Glory to the Holy One Today
- Buy the CD ($12)
- Buy the digital album from Ligonier.org, iTunes, Amazon, or Google Play
- Buy sheet music ($2 each)
- Listen to samples of each track
- Listen to or download "The Secret Place"
- Listen in Spotify
- Watch the making of "Highland Hymn"
- Learn about their second collection of hymns and sacred music, Saints of Zion
- For the Church: Singing Glory to the Holy One
- For the Church: Singing Come, O Lamb of God
- For the Church: Singing Heavy is Our Savior’s Cross
- For the Church: Singing No More the Grave
- For the Church: Singing The Secret Place
- For the Church: Singing Variant on Benedictus
- For the Church: Singing Highland Hymn
- For the Church: Singing Clothed in Righteousness
- For the Church: Singing These Great Things
- For the Church: Singing Come, Thou Savior, Spread Thy Table
- For the Church: Singing Worthy Is the Lamb
- For the Church: Singing Amen