The Spanish-Speaking Church
What Is the Opportunity?
We have already seen encouraging results from our international initiatives, particularly in the Spanish-speaking world. Historically, Roman Catholicism has held great sway over Latin America, and modern evangelicalism has been deeply influenced by Neo-Pentecostalism and the Prosperity Gospel.
Yet in recent years, the doctrines of grace have begun to sweep this region, and for the first time in her history, the Spanish-speaking church stands on the verge of an indigenous Reformation. Many of the Latin American leaders themselves, such as Miguel Núñez, Sugel Michelén, Otto Sánchez, Salvador Gómez, and others have been influenced by the teaching of R.C. Sproul, and are now themselves spreading the doctrines of grace with an emphasis on the holiness of God.
How Is Ligonier Meeting These Needs?
In the following outreach efforts, we strive to reach Spanish-speaking pastors, unbelievers, and laypeople in varied walks of life.
The Reformation Study Bible
Many pastors in Latin America lack formal theological education and prepare their sermons without the commentaries and other resources so prevalent here in the States. Several years ago, Ligonier was excited to release our revised Reformation Study Bible, and we are now discussing partnership with a Spanish publisher for the translation of this seminal work into Spanish. As with the English edition, there will be over 1.1 million words of verse-by-verse commentary and topical explanations, award-winning maps and visual aids, contributions from 75 distinguished theologians, theological summaries from R.C. Sproul, and nearly 2,000 years of creeds, confessions, and catechisms. As R.C. Sproul has said, “The light of the Reformation was the light of the Bible”—and the same is still true today.
The Ligonier Statement on Christology
The Ligonier Statement on Christology seeks to encapsulate the historic, orthodox, biblical Christology of the Christian church in a form that is simple to confess, useful in helping to teach the church’s enduring faith, and able to serve as a common confession around which believers from different churches can rally for mission together.
- In the Fall of 2016, we held our first conference in Mexico.
- 10,000 physical (locally printed) and 18,000 download copies of the Ligonier Statement on Christology were distributed at the Por Su Causa conference in the Dominican Republic in 2016, which was streamed to 150 churches in 25 countries.
- Ligonier’s 2017 National Conference in Orlando, FL, translated into Spanish, was released live on Facebook and reached 460,000 people.
- Ligonier will also continue to partner with many conferences throughout Latin America to distribute key resources.
Growing interest in the Reformed faith has sparked an eagerness for the teachings of R.C. Sproul and Ligonier Ministries. In the coming year, our goals include translating, printing, and distributing the following Reformation Trust titles:
- The Legacy of Luther, ed. R.C. Sproul and Stephen Nichols
- The Masculine Mandate by Richard D. Phillips
- Surprised by Suffering by R.C. Sproul
- None Other by John MacArthur
- A Long Line of Godly Men profile series
- The Priest with Dirty Clothes by R.C. Sproul
- The Lord's Prayer by R.C. Sproul
- Feed My Sheep by Various
- 5 Things Every Christian Needs to Grow by R.C. Sproul
- The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther by Steven Lawson
- A Little Book on the Christian Life by John Calvin
- Twenty-two of our Crucial Questions booklets have been published electronically (one in print) and we plan to print and distribute physical copies in 2017
Our variety of teaching series help promote theological education in the Spanish-speaking world, and the accompanying study guides encourage students to interact with the material. More than forty of these teaching series have already been translated into Spanish, and we plan to make them available through YouTube in the coming months.
Ligonier currently runs a Spanish Facebook page, and we are working to develop a social media strategy which will enable us to reach further into Latin America. A Spanish version of Renewing Your Mind radio is also scheduled to launch via internet podcast and radio in the first quarter of 2018, and we trust this will be of tremendous encouragement and help to the church in these countries.
Recently Translated Books
Recently Translated Teaching Series
What Is Needed?
- Translation, production, and distribution of the Spanish Reformation Study Bible — $246,000 USD
- Translation, production, and distribution of select Ligonier resources including The Little Book on the Christian Life, and the Long Line of Godly Men Profile Series — $30,000 USD (annual)
- Digital outreach — $18,000 USD (annual)
How Do Your Gifts Help?
These are a few of many international outreach projects underway, and we ask you to prayerfully consider supporting this effort through financially giving or simply through praying for the Spanish-speaking and global church. Your generosity helps us translate, print, and distribute trustworthy resources, providing countless opportunities to reach people of varying ages and callings.
"Almost fifty years after Ligonier's founding, Latin America is primed and ready. With the impact this Ministry has had in the States, there's the potential for the same thing to happen in Latin America and for society to be transformed. The main goal is for the Lord to be glorified as we mature."
—Matt McGhee, Sr. Manager, International Outreach, Ligonier
Our policy is to apply gifts given toward a specific program. If we receive more contributions than can be wisely used for a given project, we apply these funds to meet other pressing needs in our outreach efforts. We are committed to stewarding all gifts wisely toward the goal of proclaiming the holiness of God to as many people as possible. Ligonier Ministries is a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.