Summer 2014 Ministry Update
We give thanks for our Ministry Partners and all those who pray for and support the kingdom outreach of Ligonier Ministries. This is encouraging. Jesus’ command in the Great Commission to go and disciple the nations was never meant to be carried out in isolation from one another. Some send, some go—and God gets all the glory (Rom. 10:15, 11:36; 1 Cor. 3:6–8).
The Ligonier team works hard to come up with new and better ways to serve all of our Ligonier students as they extend their own ministry outreach. For instance, many of you probably have cassette or VHS editions of Ligonier teaching resources around the house or perhaps in your church’s library. Digital editions of these resources would likely be much more convenient for you or your church, and so we’ve come up with a way to make these resources available to you in a digital format. We now make it possible for you to have free access to digital copies of every series you own. Simply visit your Learning Library, which is accessible on your personalized account page. If we’ve produced digital copies of any of your past purchases, they will automatically appear in your account. Download or stream the files right from your Learning Library. If you need help accessing this new feature or don’t see a resource that you own, simply give our resource consultants a call at 800-435-4343 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Lord has worked through the support of our Ministry Partners to undergird many new outreach initiatives in 2014. Our recent #TruthAtTheCup outreach enabled the distribution of 140,000 gospel-centered booklets to attendees of the World Cup in Brazil. We even sent a small team to several cities in Brazil to serve alongside local churches, missionaries, and indigenous ministries—all with a view to gearing up for an even larger Christian ministry outreach for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
This blog post might never end if I explained in detail everything else we are working on for you and others. Here is a brief overview to help inform your prayers:
- The extensive update for The Reformation Study Bible continues to move forward. We aim to head to production in early winter for release in the English Standard Version before the spring of 2015 and for a fall release of the New King James Version the same year. There is much work still to do and considerable expense will be incurred during the multiple printings of this key resource.
- RefNet continues to grow in reach even as we make improvements to the daily broadcast schedule.
- Speaking of broadcasting, we have launched a new home for our signature broadcast, Renewing Your Mind. Take a moment and please bookmark RenewingYourMind.org for daily Christian teaching.
- We are eager for you to read the new book on John Owen releasing this October from Dr. Sinclair Ferguson and Reformation Trust. It heads to production this month. Plus, this summer we crossed the mark of more than 1.2 million free copies distributed of the Crucial Questions booklet series.
- Dr. R.C. Sproul has been working with an award-winning composer to produce a landmark work of new hymns. Recordings are taking place in Seattle, Phoenix, Orlando, and even internationally in London and Canterbury, England. We can’t wait for you to hear this project when it is released at a debut concert preceding next year’s National Conference. The concert will be free for Ministry Partners, and it will be held at Saint Andrew’s Chapel on February 18, 2015.
- The 2015 National Conference will be February 19–21, and for the first time it will be held at a resort on the Disney property. (Our normal location is undergoing renovations and unavailable next year.) The speakers and venue are outstanding. We hope to see you there.
- Later this fall we will launch the next phase for Here We Stand: The Campaign for Ligonier Ministries. Dr. Sproul and the leadership at Ligonier have worked diligently to present the future vision and scope for what we need to accomplish on our ministry campus in order to reach more people worldwide. This includes providing the distinctive education offered at Reformation Bible College, which many young adults are seeking.
- Before the end of the year, we plan to share the illuminating results from our first Ligonier-commissioned National Theological Awareness Survey. As you will see, the results demonstrate the ongoing relevance of our outreach and your vital support.
We trust you were rejoicing with us last spring at God’s provision of new leadership at Ligonier Academy and Reformation Bible College. Along with Dr. Sproul’s new role as chancellor, we announced Dr. Stephen J. Nichols as president of Reformation Bible College and the chief academic officer for Ligonier Ministries. Additionally, to help ensure that these institutions remain faithful to Dr. Sproul’s theological vision, Dr. R.C. Sproul Jr. was appointed rector of theology and chair of the department of philosophy and theology. His firsthand knowledge of Dr. Sproul’s teaching will serve the ministry well. Also, Dr. L. Michael Morales was promoted to chair of biblical studies for RBC after years of faithful service as the college’s provost. We are grateful for his past guidance and look forward to his future contributions to the college. Finally, Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson was appointed dean of the doctor of ministry program at Ligonier Academy last fall. His pastoral experience and academic excellence will be invaluable as we seek to provide further training to pastors around the world. We ask that you pray for these men as we move forward in educating current and future Christian leaders for the glory of Christ and the good of His church.
Both on Ligonier’s campus and around the world, faithful prayers, support, and partnership is fueling faithful Great Commission work. We are in this together.