Ligonier National Conference - Q&A Session II
After lunch today we enjoyed a Q&A session. R.C. Sproul moderated discussion between Sinclair Ferguson, Steven Lawson, R.C. Sproul Jr. and Alistair Begg. At first I wrote down both the questions and answers, at least as best as I was able. But as time went on, it became quite clear that this was really a kind of discussion between friends. And a discussion is hard to adequately summarize in just a few lines and a few scattered sentences. A straight Q&A is typically straightforward, but this kind of conversation or discussion and all the back-and-forth it involves is quite difficult to do justice to. What I thought I would do, then, is share with you the topics they discussed and leave it to you to find the audio files so you can listen along.
- Where did Calvin stand on arguments for God’s existence? Did he use them or did he hold that a belief in God was properly basic?
- How would you explain what being Reformed means?
- How does Calvin’s piety differ from Wesley’s sanctification?
- R.C. Sproul has taught that justification is monergistic and sanctification is synergistic. Doesn’t this mean that we can add something to our justification?
- Do our synergistic works contribute to our reward in heaven?
- What is a pastor to do when his expositional preaching is passively received? Should he stay and keep preaching or leave to find a church that receives it?
- Did Jesus as man and God have the ability to sin or did his holiness prevent him from sinning?
- What is the difference between a Calvinist and an Arminian?
- How do you distinguish preaching from teaching?
- Where did the doctrine of prevenient grace come from?