Apply for the Doctor of Ministry Program
We invite you to apply for admission to our D. Min. program.
Admission to the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) degree program is limited to ordained men who have served in the pastorate, in the mission field, or other full-time ministry for at least three years after receiving a graduate (professional or academic) degree in a biblical or theological discipline.
Applicants may apply for full admission or for admission as student candidates. All applicants must meet the following educational qualifications.
- The applicant must possess a graduate degree in a biblical or theological discipline. Ordinarily, the degree will be from a Master of Divinity program. Degrees in fields such as counseling or ministry are not an acceptable substitute.
- The applicant must have completed a total of 90 semester hours of graduate-level work, including the following minimums:
- 18 hours of OT studies, covering introduction, survey, theology, and Hebrew (with at least 2 hours of Hebrew exegesis)
- 18 hours of NT studies, covering introduction, survey, theology, and Greek (with at least 2 hours of Greek exegesis)
- 12 hours of systematic theology, covering all theological loci
- 10 hours of practical theology (homiletics, missions, counseling, etc.)
- 6 hours of history or historical theology
- 2 hours of hermeneutics
- Applicants must also submit one sample research paper in some area of biblical or theological studies. The paper should demonstrate a firm grasp of the research and writing skills that are expected of a D.Min. student.
Exceptions to the admission requirements above will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In such exceptional cases, admission to the program may be granted on a provisional basis, or with diploma standing, or both. The conditions for full admission and a date for their fulfillment will be specified in writing to the applicant. Up to that date, he may enroll in courses. When the date for fulfillment of the conditions arrives, the Admissions Committee will conduct a review to determine if the applicant has satisfied those conditions and should be granted or denied full admission to continue in the program, with either degree or diploma standing. Additional details are available by contacting the Admissions Committee.
Ligonier Academy Doctor of Ministry Program – Full Admission:
Prospective students who meet the educational qualifications and desire to pursue their doctoral studies at Ligonier Academy are encouraged to apply for full admission.
Download the Doctor of Ministry Application.
Ligonier Academy Doctor of Ministry Program – Student Candidates:
We recognize that the decision to pursue a doctoral program is important and must be carefully considered. Part of that consideration includes learning about the program—its work load for each class, the time commitment and logistics involved. With this understanding, Ligonier Academy offers pastors considering our D.Min. Program the opportunity to take up to two courses (six credit hours) as student candidates prior to full application and matriculation. For those interested in this opportunity, Ligonier Academy requires the following:
- Complete and submit sections of D.Min. Application for Admission with a $25 application fee. The application sections required are:
- Section 1: Personal Information (Pg. 1)
- Section 2: Academic Background–transcripts and research paper not required (Pg. 1)
- Section 3: Church Information–Ecclesiastical Oversight Letter not required (Pg. 2)
- Section 4: References–Ministerial Colleague reference only (Pg. 2)
- Section 6: Citizenship and English Language Proficiency (Pg. 3)
- Section 9: Doctrinal Commitment (Pg. 4-5)
- Distribute the Ministerial Colleague Reference form to be completed and mailed directly to the Admissions Office.
- Sign two statements:
- Affirming that the applicant understands and has an academic background that fulfills Ligonier Academy's academic requirements for admission (See Application Instructions Pg. 1)
- That the applicant is seriously considering applying for full admission to Ligonier Academy's D.Min. program.
All application materials are to be sent to:
Attn. D.Min. Admissions
465 Ligonier Court
Sanford, FL 32771
Those who complete the application process and are approved may enroll as student candidates for up to 6 credit hours over the course of one year. Student candidates who determine to apply for full admission within a year will be able to use their Ministerial Colleague Reference for their full application. Student candidates are subject to all student policies to include registration and academic policies.
Download the Doctor of Ministry Application.